Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee - Ref: WC1649
Photograph from Alexander Wilson Collection. In the photograph there is an early type steam engine with a group of workmen standing in front.
In 1869 the North British Railway set up the Tay Bridge Undertaking to build a bridge. In May 1871 the contract was awarded to Charles De Bergue who was contracted to build the bridge in three years at a cost of £217,099.18s.6d.
The contract was taken over by Hopkins, Gilkes and Co of Middlesborough and, on 22 July 1871, the son of the resident engineer, William Paterson, tapped the foundation stone in place.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.