Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee - Ref: WC1493
This photograph shows a line drawing / engraving of the opening ceremony of Sir Thomas Bouch's 1st Tay Railway Bridge, which took place on 31st May 1878. It appears to be signed by one Ogilvie in December 1878.
A year later, on the 28th December 1879, a section of the bridge collapsed and a passenger train running from Edinburgh to Dundee was swept into the stormy waters of the Tay and approximately 75 people lost their lives.
The bridge was re-built (opening in 1887) by W H Barlow, and the construction work was carried out by the Glasgow engineering company, William Arrol and Co., finally opening for passenger traffic on 20th June 1887.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.