Tally Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0621
Tally Street in Dundee ran from the Overgate in the north to the Nethergate in the south, the trees to the right being within the railings which stood around the City Churches.
The City Hotel was owned by J. T. Phillips. The public house on the ground floor, No. 17 in the Dundee Directory listings, was managed by James S. Smith. His business is also listed as Nos. 52 and 54 Overgate, and he lived at No. 78 Seafield Road.
The hairdresser at No. 12 was Joseph Cullen, with A. Wilkie, the butcher, next door at No. 11 John Robertson and Co. are listed as cabinetmakers, but their business was clearly far broader than that. They had a workshop in Mid Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.