Tally Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0616
Tally Street, Dundee, ran north to south from the Overgate to Nethergate. This photograph was taken from Mid Kirk Style, which ran parallel to the Overgate behind the City Churches.
James Scully, the hairdresser, first appears in the Dundee Directory for 1904-05 at No. 286 Hilltown. His first mention at No. 13 Tally Street is in 1908-09. The City Hotel at No. 15 was run by J. T. Phillips.
A. Wilkie and Co. was a long-established butcher in Tally Street by then. Wilkie was a particularly common name among Dundee butchers, in fact - Alexander S., D. & Co., Louis, Robert, Thomas D, William and Sons are all listed in 1908-09.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.