Strawberry Bank, Dundee - Ref: WC0612
Strawberrybank in Dundee is a small street running from Perth Road in the north to Magdalen Yard Road in the south. This Alexander Wilson photograph matches Ordnance Survey map 54.9.6 in showing the layout of No. 14.
Suggestions that the house may once have been the manse attached to St Peter's Church in Perth Road and more specifically to Rev. Robert Murray McCheyne, one of the glowing lights of mid-19th-century Dundee, have proved inconclusive.
The Dundee Directory for 1894-95 lists the resident of No. 14 as John Wardrope, a former fruit merchant, and No. 16 as the commercial traveller, Joseph G. Robertson. By the next year, David Dawson, a teacher, is living at No. 16.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.