St Roque's Lane, Dundee - Ref: WC0572
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection was taken from Constable Street, looking westwards along the Cowgate, towards the Wishart Arch, where the Dundee reformer had preached in the middle of the 16th century.
The Wishart United Free Church (with accommodation for 776 according to maps of the period) stands on the corner of St Roque's Lane, above the John O'Groats public house, giving rise to the local nickname for the area: 'Heaven and Hell'.
Beyond the church is Strachan, Kinmond and Co.'s East Port Calender. Calendering was the final process involved in the processing jute and other fabrics. The manager of the works in 1901 was G. D. Forbes.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.