St Roque's Lane, Dundee - Ref: WC0571
This is a familiar photograph to Dundee historians, known as 'Heaven and Hell', referring to the fact that the Wishart United Free Church was built over shops and a public house. It was taken from Constable Street looking westwards along the Cowgate.
The 'Heaven and Hell' description is related to the story of Dundee's most famous Christian missionary, Mary Slessor (of Calabar), who worshipped in the church while working as a mill girl for Baxter Brothers & Co.
The John O' Groats public house on the corner of St Roque's Lane is listed as William Crighton, No. 116 Cowgate. He lived at No. 8 Janefield Place. Beyond the public house was The East Port Calender, Strachan, Kinmond and Co. The manager was G. D. Forbes.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.