St Andrew's Establishment Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1434
This photograph shows an engraving of St Andrews Parish Church. The foundation stone was laid on the 4th June, 1772 and the church was completed in 1774. It remains today one of Dundee's few remaining 18th century buildings.(2001)
Built by architect Samuel Bell, St Andrews Church was erected jointly by the Kirk Session, the Nine Incorporated Trades and the Three United Trades. It is situated in King Street, Cowgate, today, a central area of Dundee but a semi-rural location in the 18th century.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.