St Andrew's Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1446
The foundation stone for St Andrew's Church was laid on the 4th June,1772. Work was completed by 1774. The architect was Samuel Bell. The church was sometimes referred to as the Trade Church because it had been build by the Kirk Session, the Nine Incorporated Trades and the Three United Trades.
St Andrew's Church was built in the semi-rural Cowgate.Today the area has undergone great change and is now a busy central location in Dundee. Still used as a church it remains one of the few 18th century buildings left in the city.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.