Springfield, Dundee - Ref: WC0608
This photograph shows the western side of Springfield, Dundee, which runs northwards from the Perth Road. Described by Davids M. Walker in 'Architects and architecture in Dundee 1770-1914' as 'the finest of the few terrace developments in Dundee.'
All that is known of the architect of these 'Regency terraced houses' is that he was from Edinburgh. Residents during Alexander Wilson's time included several ministers of the United Presbyterian Church and other professionals.
Carlaw T. Martin LL. D. lived there until, in 1910, he was appointed director of the Museum of Science and Arts in Edinburgh. Mrs Mary Souter, the Nethergate costumier, continued to live there after Alfred, the Nethergate watchmaker, moved to Wormit.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.