South Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0649
Dundee's South Union Street extended from Union Street southwards to the dock and market area, with two of the city's railway stations to the west and mainly storage space to the east.
It is difficult to date the photograph precisely without information about the buildings which have been demolished to the east. Wordie and Co., railway carriers, managed by Hugh Grant, were based at the Caledonian Railway Station (Dundee West).
The other railway station, not seen here, belonged to the North British Railway, was called Tay Bridge, and has survived as the city's only railway station (not counting Broughty Ferry). Their carting agents were J & P Cameron, managed by John Wallace.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.