South Union Street and Esplanade, Dundee - Ref: WC1096
This photograph from Alexander Wilson's collection shows the southern part of Dundee's South Union Street, which was demolished to make way for the ring road development associated with the Tay Road Bridge in the early 1960s.
The Waverley Temperance Hotel was listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 7 Union Street (south), managed by Mrs E. Reid. The dining rooms were probably those owned at No. 9 by Mrs G. Nicoll, with John Castagnino (a confectioner) at No. 8.
Tay Bridge railway station stood immediately to the south of Dundee West station. It belonged to the North British Railway, and was managed in 1895 by James Smith, stationmaster. The newsstand was owned by John Menzies & Co.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.