South Union Street and Craig Street Market, Dundee - Ref: WC0659
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the end of South Union Street in Dundee, where it opens out into Craig Street at the Fish Market. This area was demolished in the early 1960s as part of the Tay Road Bridge development.
The proximity to the harbour is shown by the presence of a ship's mast in the background. The fish merchants shown match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1895-96. George Cantrell lived at that time at No. 47 Yeaman Shore.
The fish salesman, Robert Cook, lived at Chestnut Cottage in Broughty Ferry. The posters on the side of the building were put up by McArthur's of No. 44 High Street. Local advertisements are for Patterson's Boots and Paterson's pianos.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.