"Sierra Morena" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0910
The "Sierra Morena" was built by T R Oswald, Sunderland, in 1875 for the Sierra Shipping Co., Ltd., Liverpool. She measured 231.2 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 1423. She is berthed on the north side of Dundee's Victoria Dock.
This photograph of the "Sierra Morena" was taken by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, during the ship's first recorded visit to the city. She arrived after a voyage of 120 days with a cargo of jute from Calcutta.
The other ship in the photograph has not been identified. To the distant left is the spire of St Paul's Cathedral, and the roof of the Customs House can also be seen above the roofs of storage sheds that lined Camperdown Dock.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.