Shore Terrace, Dundee - Ref: WC0605
The focal point of this photograph is the Assembly Halls building at the eastern end of Dundee's Shore Terrace, with Castle Street leading north leftwards and Exchange Street leading to Commercial Street immediately to the north of the building.
The City Assembly Rooms were built in 1828 to a design by George Smith. The building by 1903-04 (when the identifiable businesses in the photograph match entries in the Dundee Directory) also housed Ant. Jurgens, the margarine manufacturer.
Charles M. Falconer, manufacturer and rope maker, occupied the other portion of the Assembly Room ground floor. His business had previously been based at No. 9 Shore Terrace. He lived in Falconhurst Terrace, Hyndford Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.