"Shamrock" and "Thistle" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0908
The "Shamrock" and the "Thistle" were pleasure steamers on the Tay. The "Shamrock" was built as the "Princess of Wales", renamed the "Albion" before finally arriving at Dundee for the second time.
She had previously worked on Loch Lomond, the Forth (on the Leith , Alloa, Stirling route) and in Newcastle before settling in Dundee in 1889 for 20 years. During this time, she was briefly commanded by the well-known Dundee master, David Edwards.
The "Thistle" was built by the Glasgow company D & W Henderson in 1884. She was 216.6 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 818. She was struck from the Dundee Shipping Register in 1905, when the owners sold her to a German company.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.