Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0595
This photograph shows Dundee's Seagate leading westwards to the left, the junction with St Andrews Street in the foreground, the openings further west into Peter Street and Horse Wynd to the right. Watson's Bond, to the left, was damaged by fire in 1906.
Robert Mackay's spirit store (and public house) is the building at the extreme right. On the opposite corner, in St Andrews Buildings (dating from 1894), were Mathewson and Son, tea merchants. A. and A. Allardice, house furnishers, were at No. 128.
Next door were Robert Lilburn, plumber, and George Hay, pilot (the navigational type, of course). Jaffe Brothers at the corner of Sugarhouse Wynd are listed in the Dundee Directory as jute and linen merchants.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.