Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0589
This photograph shows the north-eastern end of Dundee's Seagate, where it joins East Whale Lane (to the left), St Roque's Lane (to the right) Foundry Lane and Blackscroft (behind the photographer).
The fruit and confections shop belonged to Mrs Turnbull, and the butcher next door was William Orr. The next building was the herbalist, James C. Cartwright, who is listed in the Dundee Directory as a botanic beer maker.
At No. 202 was the Seagate Fish Mart, listed as Thomas Wellard, who lived at No. 108 Seagate. Mrs Cochrane's china shop was at No. 198, and Archibald Andrews' hairdressing salon at No. 196.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.