Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0586
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north side of Dundee's Seagate from the top of Gellatly Street, which leads southwards to Dock Street. The main building is Robertson's whisky Bond, designed by the local architects Johnston & Baxter in 1897.
In the late 20th century, the lower sections were re-designed as the Seagate Gallery, an arts centre. The grocery in Gellatly Street is something of a puzzle. The Dundee Directory for 1901-02 lists David T. Whyte, a tea merchant at No. 65.
No. 63 was the home address of Bernard McMillan, a wine merchant, but his business is listed at No. 6 St Clement's Lane. A Mrs Moodie is listed at No. 63, but without occupation or trade.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.