Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0597
This photograph shows the north side of Dundee's Seagate, looking eastwards away from the town centre, with Sugarhouse Wynd leading north at the left hand side.
By comparison with other photographs in the Wilson Collection, this image can be dated to ca. 1893. That would mean that the building complex in the foreground would be David Philip and Sons' coffee mills. They are listed as tea and coffee merchants.
David Philip lived at Inverpark Cottage, Chalmers Street. Whether or not they were related to the Mrs Philip, coffeehouse-keeper at No. 6 Dura Street at the same time is not known.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.