Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0584
Alexander Wilson took this photograph, which shows the junction of Dundee's Seagate running away to the east with Commercial Street, running north to south from left to right, from the east end of the city's High Street.
No. 49a was David Mackay, druggist and dispensing chemist. According to the Dundee Directory for 1889-90 (which most closely matches the photograph), he also had shops at No. 47 Scouringburn and No. 119 Murraygate. He lived at No. 2 Union Street.
The restaurant next door belonged to William Whyte, who lived at No. 94 Commercial Street. Frederick Ferguson, the tailor and clothier at No. 45, lived at Dunmore Villa, Downfield. The building at the extreme right is the Cathedral School of St Paul's.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.