"Scotia" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0902
The Piper O' Dundee of 10th July 1895 includes an advertisement for sailings of a 'new and magnificent steamer', the S. S. Scotia, signed Capt. J. Todd, Dundee Pleasure Boat Co. Ltd.
The trips planned that month (the height of Dundee's summer holidays) included Newburgh (on the south side of the River Tay towards Perth) and Perth, and Montrose (calling at Broughty Ferry). The fare to Newburgh was 9d (4p).
Refreshments were served on board, and there was to be music and dancing as well. The Perth sailings were afternoon affairs, apart from the Sunday when it departed at 7.30am, returned for the Montrose run, then re-ran to and from Perth at 7.15pm.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.