School, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3021
This spacious new school was opened in 1879 next to the Blyth Hall. This replaced the William Street School. Until 1949 this school provided a full education, covering all subjects until third year. After which pupils traveled to Dundee.
Newport-on-Tay School original building was extended in 1927 when the part of the building towards Scott St. was added.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.