"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0893
Weighing 936 tonnes, this twin screw steam ship was built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, for a company in Calcutta, India, which hoped to use it to ferry pilgrim passengers.
She was sold on in 1903 to Shepherd and Co., Bombay, when railway became the primary means of transport in the area. She was scrapped in July 1910. But only removed from shipping registers in 1914.
This photograph by the Dundee-based amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the vessel still under construction. The twin screws are clearly visible and it's likely that the rudder has not yet been fixed. No press coverage of the launch has been found.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.