Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0494
This photograph shows the north-western section of Dundee's Overgate, looking east towards the junction with Lindsay Street. Aitchison & Company, the second-hand piano repository, had several different shops in the street over the years.
The Mayflower Coffee Tavern, at No. 189 Overgate, was owned by Jane Ann Gibb, listed in the Dundee Directory as a confectioner, who lived at No. 7 Balfour Street. Nothing has so far been found out about The Overgate Curiosity Shop.
John J. Donaghey (as he appears in the Dundee Directory) was a chemist with a shop at No. 185, living next door at No. 187, along with Myer Phillips, a remnant merchant, whose shop was at No. 152. Helen A. Smith, the grocer, was No. 179.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.