Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0497
This photograph shows Dundee's Overgate, looking eastwards to the junction with Lindsay Street. The Old Steeple can be made out in the distance, just to the south of the junction.
Alexander Meek & Son, the glaziers, were at No. 149 Overgate. The building on the far side of the junction was James B. Lawson, a wines and spirits merchant. The only identifiable business on the south side is P. J. Fletcher, the hairdresser at No. 142.
There is no listing for No. 144, here clearly visible as a fish shop. The was a drysalter at No. 150, James Cowborough, and a fish shop at No. 126, Mrs Thomas Cathro. The drapery and underclothing shop may have been Agnes Laughlin at No. 134.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.