Overgate, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0496
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north side of Dundee's Overgate, at the junctions with Barrack Street, which led northwards to the left, and Tally Street, which led southwards to the right, past the City Churches to Nethergate.
William Reid's Tea Store is listed in the Dundee Directory as a grocer. No. 57 was Peter C. Kidd, a butcher and poulterer. The fact that his shop is to let has helped date the image. No. 53 was Alex Massey and Sons, listed as a provisions merchant.
No. 49 was Antonio Franchi's Italian ice cream shop, No. 43 William Fyfe, an auctioneer, and No. 41 The Standard Boot, J. & W. Kerr. John Herd, the draper and clothier is listed at No. 3 Barrack Street, as is James Gordon, the house agent.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.