Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0499
This photograph shows the north-western end of Dundee's Overgate, with North Tay Street leading to the left and Tay Street leading to the south, looking eastwards towards the town centre.
The Strathmore Arms Hotel is not listed in any Dundee Directory. John Hodge, the chemist and druggist, styled 'Apothecaries Hall', was at No. 249 Overgate. Mary Hagan was a grocer and wines and spirits merchant at No. 245.
No businesses are listed between that and No. 233, which (according to the Dundee Directory) was the British and Colonial meat market, while No. 231 was a smallwares shop belonging to Mrs MacDonald.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.