Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0502
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the north side of Dundee's Overgate, to the right and east of the junction with Barrack Street, near the north end of Tally Street.
Cameron's Temperance Hotel at No.51 Overgate was above the grocery shop belonging to Alexander Massey, listed as No. 53. Next door was Antonio Franchi's confectionery and then a fruit shop owned by Mary Stewart. David McLeod at No. 41 was a bootmaker.
No. 51 also housed W. P. Saunders, a printing company, and the Operative Tailors' Hall. The Operative Mason Lodge Hall is listed at No. 43, with James Turley the lodging-keeper at that address. The Thistle Operative Masonic Hall was at No. 31.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.