Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0504
This photograph shows the north side of Dundee's Overgate, with the junction to Reform Street in the middle distance. Reform Street leads north towards Dundee High School from the High Street.
The Golden Locket was a jeweller's shop belonging to Herbert J. Cohen, at No. 15 Overgate. No. 11 was the confectioner David A. McDowall, who had luncheon and tearooms above. William Petrie, the watch and clockmaker was at No. 9.
Nos. 1-7 were J. & J. Fleming, 'Wholesale London, Birmingham and Sheffield warehousemen and importers of French and German goods' (Dundee Directory). James A. Fleming lived at No. 41 Constitution Road, Edward W. Fleming at No. 5 Panmure Terrace.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.