"Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0880
With a gross tonnage of 2163 and measuring 283.5 feet in length, the "Nile" was an iron four masted barque. She was built by Russell and Co., of Port Glasgow, in 1886 for the Glasgow company, W Douglas.
The "Nile" came to Dundee on two occasions. She arrived from Calcutta on 31st March 1888 with a full load of raw jute from Calcutta, after a voyage of 154 days. On 22nd July 1889, she arrived from the same port with a the same cargo.
Alexander Wilson took this photograph, which shows the unloaded, repaired and re-painted "Nile" berthed on the north side of Dundee's Victoria Dock. After an arduous sea voyage, damage to ships' hulls had to be remedied before sailing again.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.