"Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0878
Russell and Co., Port Glasgow, built the "Nile" for W Douglas, of Glasgow, in 1886. A four masted iron barque, she had a gross tonnage of 2163 and measured 283.5 feet in length.
The photograph (taken by a Dundee-based amateur, Alexander Wilson) shows the "Nile" after she'd been repaired and re-painted, following a voyage from Calcutta, which had lasted for 163 days.
Her previous voyage to Dundee from Calcutta had only lasted 154 days. Then her cargo was sold to six of the city's jute processing companies. In 1889, W Cleghorn and Co., bought the entire load.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.