"Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0877
An iron four masted barque with a gross tonnage of 2163 and measuring 283.5 feet in length, the "Nile" was built by Russell and Co., of Port Glasgow, in 1886 for the Glasgow company, W Douglas.
Alexander Wilson, a jute calender manager, took this photograph some three weeks after the "Nile" had arrived in Dundee from Calcutta (after a 163-day voyage) with a full load of raw jute.
The journey always took its toll on the hull of the sailing fleet, so vessels were cleaned and re-painted. The cargo from this visit (the second the "Nile" made to Dundee) was sold to one of the city's leading jute manufacturers, W Cleghorn and Co.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.