"Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0875
The "Nile" was an iron four masted barque, built in 1886 by the Port Glasgow company, Russell and Co., for W Douglas of Glasgow. At 283.5 feet in length, she had a gross tonnage of 2163.
The "Nile" visited Dundee twice, once in March 1888 and then in July 1889. Both times her cargo consisted of raw jute from the plantations in India, via Calcutta, which was the main point of export.
The first voyage took 154 days, and the second 163. The "Nile", seen in front of the Clock Tower Warehouse in Dundee Harbour in this Alexander Wilson photograph, would have been cleaned, repaired and re-painted after unloading.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.