Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0256
This photograph shows the south side of Nethergate, with the Whitehall Street junction slightly left (and east) of centre. It was originally captioned High Street, reflecting a general confusion of where one ends and the other begins.
Moon, Langlands & Co. are last listed in Albion House, No. 40 Nethergate, in the Dundee Directory for 1886-87. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection includes sales catalogues for 1880 and 1881.
In 1883, their catalogue states that Mr Blakeney is in Paris selecting novelties; in 1887, the Dundee Directory lists the shop as Thomas S. Blakeney & Son, warehouseman. In 1888, Blakeney has moved to larger premises at No. 8 Nethergate.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.