Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0418
The south side of Dundee's Nethergate to the west of Union Street is shown in this photograph.
The confectionery at No. 66 is the key to identifying many of the businesses, since Miss Catherine Millar's shop was only there (according to the Dundee Directory) in 1905-06. No. 68 housed Emma Dempster's fish shop and John Valentine's grocery.
Next door to the Remington Standard Typewriter Co.'s shop at No. 70 was Peter W. Mackie, a goldsmith; No.76 was Alfred Souter, the watchmaker. The cigar importer at No. 64a was Talbert Thomson. Sime's teeth laboratory was a well known Dundee business.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.