Nethergate, Dundee

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0424

This photograph shows the north side of Dundee's Nethergate, with St Enoch's church in the west. It's as well Alexander Wilson captured this image as the area was demolished to make way for the inner ring road in the 197Os Overgate development.

W. P. Laird & Sinclair were at No. 73, Macdonald & Muir, the cabinetmakers at Nos. 69-71, George Walker, the confectioner at No. 57, Daniel Dailly's outfitting and baby-linen mart at Nos. 61-63, Miss Annie McNaughton, needleworker, at No. 59.

William Aimer, the photographer, was at No.55 Nethergate from 1889 until some time in 1893, which helps date the image. John Fraser's Embroidery Warehouse (he was a designer and tracer) was at Nos. 51 and 53. William Adamson at No. 49 was a bellhanger.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?