Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0445
This photograph from the Wilson Collection shows the south side of Dundee's Nethergate between Whitehall Street in the east (to the left) and Couttie's Wynd (at the right). It was taken from the south end of Tally Street, in front of the City Churches.
The British Linen Bank Company, whose Nethergate branch was run by Peter Kerr, is first listed in the Dundee Directory at No. 38 in 1899-90. Other branches were 83 Marketgate (David Brand), No. 40 Westport (James Ireland), 23 Victoria Road (J. A. Edward).
William Kidd the printer is listed in 1900-01 as 'bookseller, manufacturing stationer, printer, lithographer and bookbinder' at Palace Buildings, No. 7 Whitehall. His works were No. 36 Nethergate. He lived at Whitehall Villa, Tayport Road, East Newport.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.