Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0455
This photograph shows the south side of Dundee's Nethergate between Whitehall Street at the left (in the east) and Couttie's Wynd, with Albion House (William Philip's general outfitter's business at Nos. 40 and 42.
Millar's Supply Stores moved to the High Street from this location sometimes in 1898-99 according to references in the Dundee Directory. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection [Box 81(9)] contains various pricelists for Millar's including one from 1894.
As well as standard grocery wares, the list includes golf balls, insect powder, five different kinds of rice. Advertsiements include Jacob's Pilsener beer, bottled in the Nethergate premises. The pamphlet includes order and Post Office payment sheets.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.