Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0468
The south side of Dundee's Nethergate is seen from the west in this photograph, with the spires of the Town House and St Paul's Cathedral to the distant left.
The building at the right is No. 38, the British Linen Company Bank, which also had branches at No. 35 Muraygate, No. 39 Westport, and No. 23 Victoria Road. The manager of the Nethergate branch was Peter Kerr, who lived at Eildonhurst in Perth Road.
Upstairs, listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 38a, was the Y. W. C. A. ladies' dining and tearooms. Their rooms were at No. 33 South Tay Street, and they had another restaurant at No. 40 Albert Street, and a boarding house at No. 65 High Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.