Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0477
This photograph shows a section of Dundee's Nethergate, with Whitehall Street leading southwards to the left and Couttie's Wynd (running similarly) at the right, beside Albion House, William Philip's clothing warehouse.
The building on the eastern corner with the blinds is Thomas Young's 'Our Sons'. He is listed as 'school and college outfitter in the Dundee Directory as No. 2 Whitehall Street. He lived at No. 13 Castle Terrace, Broughty Ferry.'
William Millar's Supply Stores were (according to their sales catalogues, several of which are preserved in Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection) open six days a week. Order and payment forms were published, and deliveries could be made.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.