Nethergate, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0428
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north side of Dundee's Nethergate, to the west (and left) of its junction with Lindsay Street (the trees at the right hand side are in the City Churches' grounds).
George Walker, the confectioner and pastrybaker at No. 57 Nethergate, also had shops at No. 10 Wellgate and No. 286 Hilltown. He lived at No. 31 Reform Street (quite a wealthy area, so he must have been quite rich). Edwin Fraser's studio was at No. 55.
John Fraser's Embroidery Warehouse is listed in the Dundee Directory as Nos. 51 and 53. As well as designing embroidery, he traced other peoples' patterns on the premises. T. & A. Smith, at No. 41, are listed, among other things as billiard table agents.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.