Nethergate and Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0433
This photograph shows the junction of Dundee's Nethergate with the south end of Lindsay Street (which led to the north and right, running past the Old Steeple), with the twin spires of St Enoch's church at the left (and west).
The corner is dominated by the Dental Institute of Dr John Stewart, though it is possible that his widow had taken charge by the time Alexander Wilson took the photograph. No. 25 Nethergate (one of its addresses) is often listed as Union Close.
Next door, at No. 4 Lindsay Street was Alexander Birnie, optician and scientific instrument maker. Isabella Dunn, the game dealer and poulterer, was at No. 27 Nethergate until at least 1918. No. 29 was Edward Wilson & Sons, upholstery and carpet sellers.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.