Nethergate and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0419
This photograph shows the south-eastern section of Dundee's Nethergate, which merges to the left of centre with High Street; the twin spires to the left are Town House (closer) and St Paul's cathedral. Couttie's Wynd is the alleyway at the righthand side.
William Millar's supply stores helps to date to the photograph to within seven years, but no information has yet come to light about 'Our Sons', the children's outfitters at the north end of Whitehall Street, which would help refine that information.
Other businesses in the photograph were fairly constant features in the Dundee commercial scene: Moon, Langlands & Co., the city's premiere department store, Rattray, long the leading jeweller and clockmaker, Sinclair & Ewing, the nurserymen.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.