Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0387
This photograph shows a section of the south side of Dundee's Murraygate, basically a shopping street, running east to west from left to right.
The central building is the British Linen Company Bank, whose agent in 1896 was David Brand, at No. 83. No. 81 was an office block, occupied by (among others) John M. Savage, the United States' consul, and the architect James H. Langlands.
William McBurney, the china merchant, had shops at No. 79 Murraygate and No. 12 Whitehall Street, as well as in Union Street, Aberdeen and the High Street, Belfast.The fruiterer at No. 87, on the far side of Horse Wynd was Marion F. Newsome.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.