Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0392
This photograph of the north side of Dundee's Murraygate, with Meadow Entry at the extreme left and the spire of St Andrew's church at the right, dates from some time around 1892.
Johnston & Adams, drysalters, were listed in the Dundee Directory at No. 82, with the Dundee Eye Institution at No. 84. The 'City Butchermeat Market' may be Alex. Shepherd's shop at No. 92.
The Danish Dairy Co, managed by William Andrew, was at No. 108 and the London Clothing Company, manager J. Lyall, at No. 112. Also at No. 108 were James Brodie, horse-hirer, and P. Stewart, painter and japanner (japan being a black lacquer / varnish).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.