Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0393
This photograph shows a section of the north side of Dundee's Murraygate, which was primarily a shopping street.
Greenlees & Sons, boot manufacturers who advertise 'repairing a speciality', were at No. 64, next door to another prominent Dundee bootery, this time belonging to James S. Kerr, who also had shops at No. 2 Nethergate and No. 3 Wellgate.
A third boot manufacturer was housed only two doors away, Stead & Simpson. In between, at No. 68, were Waltson & Stewart, listed as cutlers and gunmakers, the Cutler's Hall (a meeting place of sorts) and a house belonging to Pipe Major John Stewart.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.