Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0395
This photograph shows the north-western portion of Dundee's Murraygate in approximately 1892, leading to the east from left to right, where St Andrew's spire once again provides a point of reference.
James Rutherford, the wine and spirits merchant at No. 12, lived at No. 18 Springfield. Alexander Potter, proprietor of the boot and shoe warehouse at No. 76, lived at Craig-na-Bratton in West Ferry (to the east of Dundee).
Next door, at No. 78 (!), was Tough's Temperance Hotel (the banner Machlan Tower may simply be an alternative name, since no listing has been found for it). Mrs Gow's dressmaking business, advertised on a wall plaque, was at No. 2 Meadow Entry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.