Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0396
This photograph shows Murraygate running towards the Wellgate in the east, the north side to the left.
The shop to the left belonged to Thomas J. Lipton, described in the Dundee Directory as 'hamcurer, and butter and cheese merchant and tea importer' at Nos. 8 and 10. Wines and spirits merchant James Rutherford was at No. 12. Potter's shoe shop was No. 76.
Stevenson Brothers, dyers, were No. 80, with Mrs Tough's Temperance Hotel listed as No. 78. Beyond Meadow Entry were drysalters Johnston & Adams. C. J. Fehrenbach the watchmaker was at No. 86, while the hairdresser at No. 110 was James H. Iron.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.