Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0398
This photograph shows the junction of the south west section of Dundee's Murraygate with Commercial Street, which runs from north to south left to right.
James G. Cruden is listed in the Dundee Directory at No. 1 Murraygate and No. 67 Commercial Street as 'wholesale and manufacturing furrier', his sign here reading 'Dundee Fur Company', formerly known as The London Glove and Trimming Company.
Cruden specialised in imported furs from France, Switzerland and Germany, and cultivated a very particular selection of clientele. He lived at No. 238 Perth Road. A biography is printed in the Piper O' Dundee of 9th November 1898.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.